What is an Aged Parent visa?
This permanent visa enables an elderly parent of a citizen of New Zealand, an Australian permanent resident, or another qualifying citizen to remain in Australia.
Features Aged Parent visa
- you can stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Australia’s public healthcare scheme, Medicare
- sponsor your family members to come to Australia
- apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
- If you’ve already applied for or are in possession of a Sponsored Parent visa, you cannot apply for this visa.
- You must be sponsored by an eligible sponsor.
- In Australia, you must be old enough to qualify for the age pension.
- You must be in good health if you and any family members apply for the visa together.
- You must satisfy our character criteria, along with any family members who apply for the visa with you.
- We have a guarantee of support that you won’t require government aid once you reach Australia with this visa. You and any family members traveling to Australia on this visa are covered by the assurance.
- You or any family members who owe the Australian Government money must have already paid it back or have a plan in place that has been approved by the government to repay it.
- If it is not in the best interests of a candidate under the age of 18, we will not issue this visa.
Procedure to apply
- Collect all the documents.
- Must Complete Form 47PA Application for a parent to migrate to Australia (693KB PDF).
- Your sponsor must complete Form 40 Sponsorship for migration to Australia (442KB PDF)
- Send all the documents.
- You may be inside or outside of Australia at the time we decide whether to accept your application, but not in immigration clearance.
How long you can stay?
- It is a long-term visa. It permits indefinite residence in Australia.
What is the processing time?
- Applications may be queued and have their limits set.
What is the cost?
- This visa starts at $6,625 AUD. Each extra family member that applies with you will incur a fee.