Contributory parent visa – Australia Visa: How to apply and obtain, Procedure, Documents required?

What is a Contributory parent visa – Australia Visa?

A parent of an established Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or qualifying New Zealand citizen may enter Australia with this permanent visa.


  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
  • sponsor your family members to come to Australia
  • travel to and enter Australia for 5 years
  • apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible


  • If you have already filed for or currently hold a Sponsored Parent visa, you cannot apply for this visa.
  • As a retiree, you may apply for a Parent visa (subclass 143) if you held or had previously held an Investor Retirement (subclass 405) or Retirement (subclass 410) on May 8, 2018, and you have not held any other substantive visas between May 8, 2018, and the date you submitted your application for the Parent visa.
  • For this visa, a qualified sponsor must sponsor you.
  • As a retiree, you can apply for this visa without a sponsor.
  • The balance-of-family test must be satisfied. If at least half of your biological and adopted children are eligible, or if there are more eligible children living in Australia than any other nation, then you satisfy the balance of family requirement.
  • We have a guarantee of support that you won’t require government aid once you reach Australia with this visa. You and any family members traveling to Australia on this visa are covered by the assurance.
  • You must be in good health if you and any family members apply for the visa together.
  • You must satisfy our character criteria, along with any family members who apply for the visa with you.
  • You or any family members who owe the Australian Government money must have already paid it back or have a plan in place that has been approved by the government to repay it.
  • If a visa was denied or canceled while you were in Australia, you could not be qualified for this one.
  • If you are a retiree and apply for this visa, you must keep up a sufficient level of health insurance until you are approved for a Parent visa. You should be covered by your insurer for any necessary medical care, including transportation.
  • If it is not in the best interests of a candidate under the age of 18, we will not issue this visa.

Documents Required

  • Assemble all of your paperwork, including that of any dependents or partners you may be applying with. Your sponsor’s paperwork is also required.
  • Please include the pages of your existing passport that display your picture, contact information, and the issue and expiration dates.
  • Unless you’re submitting an application as a retiree, your application must be sponsored by an eligible sponsor.
  • Provide us the following to demonstrate that you pass the family-balance test: evidence showing each child’s relationship to you evidence of each child’s permanent home nation
    Arguments against including your child in the balance-of-family test.
  • You can be asked to provide character references, such as police records. Set up a police check only after we urge you to.
  • You must provide dependent documents such as identity documents, proof of your relationship with them, and character documents.
  • Every candidate under the age of 18 who wants to immigrate to Australia needs the permission of anyone who: has a legal right to decide where the child lives and is not coming to Australia with the child.
  • Provide 4 recent photos.

Procedure to apply

What is the cost?

  • Costs for this visa start at AUD47,955. Each extra family member that applies with you will incur a fee.

How long you can stay?

  • It is a long-term visa. It permits indefinite residence in Australia.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.