Dependent Child visa – Australia Visa: How to apply and obtain, Procedure, Documents required?

What is a Dependent Child visa – Australia Visa?

This visa enables a child who was born outside of Australia to relocate there and live with their parents.


  • You can stay in Australia indefinitely.
  • You can work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Australia’s public healthcare scheme, Medicare.
  • sponsor relatives to come to Australia
  • and apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible


  • be dependent on a parent who is an eligible Australian citizen, New Zealander, or holder of an Australian permanent visa.
  • The kid must be sponsored by one of the qualifying parents, or by the spouse or common-law partner of those parents.
  • The child must be either: under 18 years old, over 18 and under 25 years and studying full time or over 18 years with a disability.
  • Our health requirements must be met by the child and any dependents who apply for the visa with them.
  • The youngster must meet our character criteria if they are 16 years old or under.
  • If the child or any other member of their family owes money to the Australian Government, it must be repaid or a formal arrangement must be made to do so.
  • everyone who has the authority to determine a child’s residence has given their written consent, or

Documents Required

  • Passport pages with the child’s portrait, name, and the dates of their issue and expiration should be provided.
  • Provide 4 recent passport-size photos
  • Please submit a certified copy of the child’s passport or another travel document, as well as any passports the child has held in the past.
  • If the child is older than 18 at the time the application is completed, you must show that they depend on their parent for basic requirements such as clothes, food, and shelter, as well as how long this support has been given.
  • Children older than 16 must present police clearance documents from each nation where they have lived for at least a year in the previous ten years.

Procedure to apply

By post (with correct prepaid postage):

Department of Home Affairs
Child and Other Family Processing Centre
Locked Bag 7

By courier:

Department of Home Affairs
Child and Other Family Processing Centre
Wellington Central
836 Wellington Street

  • When we receive the application and supporting documentation, we will notify the applicant. Following the application, there can be additional tasks or considerations.

How long the child can stay?

  • It is a long-term visa. The child is permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely.

What is the cost?

  • The primary applicant must pay AU2,790 for the visa.

What is the processing time?

  • 25% of applications: 5 Months
  • 50% of applications: 10 Months
  • 75% of applications: 14 Months
  • 90% of applications: 27 Months

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.