Former Resident visa – Australia Visa: How to apply and obtain, Procedure, Documents required?

What is a Former Resident visa – Australia Visa?

This permanent visa enables former permanent residents and some Australian Defence Force veterans to settle in Australia.


  • stay in Australia permanently
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
  • sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
  • travel to and from Australia for up to 5 years from the date of the grant as long as the travel facility remains valid
  • apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible.


  • Having the ability to satisfy the long-residence criterion, if necessary
  • if necessary, be able to fulfill the requirement for defense services.
  • You must be under 45 at the time of application in order to satisfy the lengthy residence criterion.
  • You must be in good health if you and any family members apply for the visa together.
  • You and any family members who are 16 years old or older must adhere to our code of conduct.
  • There may be a need for you to submit an assurance of support.
  • If you or any members of your family owe money to the Australian government, you must have already done so or have made a legal arrangement to do so.
  • If you had a visa cancelled or denied while you were in Australia, you might not be given this one. To see if your eligibility is affected by a cancelled visa.

Procedure to apply

  • assemble the necessary paperwork to demonstrate your identification and compliance with our criteria.
  • When you apply for the visa, you may be inside or outside of Australia, but not in the immigration clearance process.
  • All applicants apply together on the one Form 47SV Application for special migration to Australia (553KB PDF) and lodge it with our Perth office.
  • Pay the application charge before you send your application. Pay online in ImmiAccount.
  • Mail the form and supporting documents to:

    Department of Home Affairs
    Locked Bag 7
    Northbridge WA 6865

  • When we get your application and supporting documentation, we will notify you.

Documents Required

  • Provide accurate information such as current passport, photo, personal details, signature, passport issue, and expiry dates.
  • provide character certificate.
  • provide documents of a partner such as identity documents, Character certificates.
  • For every dependant under 18 years old who is applying with you, provide identity documents, Character certificates, and proof of your relationship with them.

What is the cost?

  • It will cost AUD4,145 for the main applicant.


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *