What is a Global Special Humanitarian visa?
With this visa, you can relocate to Australia and reside permanently with your immediate family if you face significant prejudice or human rights violations and have a proposer.
- stay in Australia permanently
- You can work and study in Australia
- enroll in Australia’s public healthcare scheme, Medicare
- propose family members for permanent residence
- travel to and from Australia for 5 years
- if eligible to become an Australian citizen
- attend free English language classes through the Adult Migrant English Program.
- When you apply for this visa, you must be outside of Australia and outside of your country of origin.
- In your native country, prejudice would be a blatant violation of your human rights.
- A person or organization in Australia must recommend you for this visa.
- You and any family members who apply for the visa with you must meet our health requirements.
- You and any family members who apply for the visa with you must meet our character requirements.
- If you are 18 or older, you must sign or accept the Australian Values Statement to ensure that you will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws.
- If you owe money to the Australian Government, you must have paid it back or made a formal arrangement to do so.
Procedure to apply
- Provide all the documents.
- Apply online via our webform. Attach documents, including the required forms Form: 842 – Application for an Offshore Humanitarian visa and Form 681 – Refugee and special humanitarian proposal.
- You can post your completed paper application and supporting documents to us at:
- Special Humanitarian Processing Centre
Department of Home Affairs
GPO Box 9984
SYDNEY NSW 2001
- Submit your visa applications and accompanying documentation all at once. This gives us a clear picture of everyone who is asking for a visa.
- Please provide the pages of your current passport that display your photo, personal information, passport issue, and expiration dates.
- Please submit proof of registration with any international organization dealing with refugees, such as the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
- Provide certified copies of any visas or residence permits you hold.
- Provide certified copies of marriage certificates or relationship registrations for you and everyone else listed on your application, even if they are not coming to Australia with you.
- Paper applications require 2 passport-sized photographs per applicant.
- If you served in the armed forces of any country, please provide military service documents or discharge papers.
- Provide the partner documents.
What is the cost?
- There is no visa application fee for this visa unless you are proposed by an Approved Proposing Organization under the Community Support Program.
What is the processing time?
- The decision-making process could take months or even years. Every year, we get significantly more applications for relocation than there are available permits.