What is BNO Visa?
You and your family members are eligible to apply for a British National (Overseas) visa if you are a Hong Kong native and a British national. A BNO visa is what it is called. You are able to work, study, and reside in the UK.
Although you can apply for the BNO visa from abroad, you should hold off on traveling to the UK until you know the outcome of your application.
Who can apply?
- A British national (overseas).
- 18 or older
Your residence must be:
- If you’re applying in Hong Kong from somewhere other than the UK.
- If you’re applying in the UK, you can do so in Hong Kong, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or.
- If they qualify, your family members can apply for a BNO visa. Unless they are your partner or a minor child, they must typically apply at the same time as you.
- You can check the condition here.
- You must submit a current passport or another kind of identification that verifies your identity and nationality when you apply.
- When applying, you can prove your status as a British national (abroad) (BNO) by presenting a valid or expired BNO passport (or a photocopy).
- You can still apply even if you don’t have a BNO passport anymore. The Home Office will investigate your situation, however, it can take longer for a response to your application.
- Must provide the evidence: that either Hong Kong, the UK, the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man is where you reside permanently, that you earn enough money to maintain your family and self, and your relationship with family members if you did not already submit a copy of your tuberculosis (TB) test certificate when you first arrived in the UK.
How much is the cost?
- You can check here.
What is the validity of a BNO visa?
You can apply to stay for either:
- 2 years and 6 months
- 5 years
Where to apply?
- You can apply here.
What is the procedure?
You must provide identification documentation as part of your online application. What kind of passport you have will determine how you proceed:
- You must create or sign into a UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account in addition to scanning your BNO, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), or EEA passport using the “UK Immigration: ID Check” app.
- to obtain a biometric residency permit, make an appointment to provide your fingerprints and a photo at a visa application center.
- The center might have to store your passport and supporting documents if you have to leave for an appointment while they complete your application.
- You can get help online in filling out the form.
What can you do with a BNO visa?
You can :
- work (except you cannot work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach).
- study (including at school, college, or university)
You might be able to receive perks once you hold a BNO visa. If you fall into one of the following financial categories, for example:
- lack a home and are unable to afford one
- possess a place to call home but struggle to cover basic expenses like heating or food
- are in danger of losing your home or won’t be able to cover your basic living expenses.
- have a very low income and your child would suffer if you didn’t have access to benefits.
How to extend the BNO Visa?
- You can seek to extend your current BNO visa if you match the qualifying requirements.
- You must apply before your existing visa expires.
- Your BNO visa may be extended an unlimited number of times.