How to renew Green card in the USA?
If you are a lawful permanent resident, you must replace/renew your Green Card if:
- Your Green Card has expired or will do so in the following six months;
- Your prior card was stolen, damaged, lost, or destroyed,
- Unless your card expires before your 16th birthday, you obtained it before turning 14 and have now achieved that age,
- You were a commuter before becoming a permanent resident of the country;
- You have lived in the United States as a permanent resident and have just obtained commuter status,
- (This covers special agricultural worker candidates who are transitioning to permanent resident status.) Our status has been automatically converted to permanent resident,
- You must replace any previous iterations of the alien registration card with current Green Cards if you possess them, such as the USCIS Form AR-3, Form AR-103, or Form I-151, which are no longer acceptable as proof of immigration status,
- Since you last obtained your card, you have legally altered your name or other biographical details; or
- The prior card we sent you was never delivered to you.
How to apply
You can start the application process for a replacement Green Card by submitting Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, online or by mail if you are a lawful permanent resident or conditional permanent resident and need to replace your Green Card for one of the reasons listed in the When to Replace Your Green Card section.
- You will receive a new Green Card in the mail if we accept your application.
- For a period of one year following the date on your Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card, this notice serves as proof of your legal permanent resident status (also known as a Green Card). You continue to have permission to work and travel. This notice serves as proof of your status and works authorization when it is provided with your expired Permanent Resident Card.
- USCIS will mail you a new receipt notice to use with your expired Green Card as temporary proof of your status as a lawful permanent resident if it has previously accepted your application to renew your Green Card and you have not yet received a biometrics appointment notification.
How to renew Green card from outside of the USA?
- If your Green Card expires in six months while you are abroad (but you return to the country within a year of leaving the country and before the card expires), you must complete Form I-90 as soon as you get back to the country.
What is the cost?
- Check here for more details.