Maritime Crew visa – Australia Visa: How to apply and obtain, Procedure, Documents required?

What is Maritime Crew Visa?

  • This visa is intended for foreign crew members of non-military ships traveling abroad and entering Australia by sea. Additionally, it is for the foreign crew member’s spouse or dependant child.
  • With this visa as a member of a non-military ship, enter and leave Australia by sea.
  • As long as you are registered as a crew member of a non-military ship, you may remain in Australia.
  • Whenever you work as a crew member in Australia, only do tasks necessary for your ship’s routine operations.


You might be able to get this visa if you are a crew member of a ship that is:

  • used for commercial trading
  • used for carrying paying passengers
  • owned and operated by a foreign government to do scientific research
  • approved for ‘public vessel’ status by the Australian government
  • registered in the Australian International Shipping Register.
  • You must be an articled crew member traveling to Australia aboard a ship that is not in the military.
  • If you owe the Australian government money, you or any members of your family (even those who don’t apply for the visa with you) must have done so already or made arrangements to do so.
  • If you had a visa canceled or denied while you were in Australia, you might not be eligible for this visa.
  • When you apply, you must be outside of Australia. When your visa is decided, you could be within or outside of Australia. You must have a visa in order to enter Australia.

Procedure to apply

  • Make sure to apply for the visa plenty of time before your trip. We might need more information from you and more time to process it.
  • Your application in ImmiAccount should be submitted along with the necessary identification, employment, and educational/qualification papers.
  • When you apply, you must be outside of Australia. When your visa is decided, you could be within or outside of Australia.
  • You will receive a notification in writing, once it gets approved.
  • You can apply only by logging in or creating an account in  ImmiAccount.
  • Attach all the documents.
  • submit all the details.
  • You can apply by filling out the form.
  • Send the completed form to the address provided on the form via mail, courier, or fax. Attention: Maritime Global Processing Center should be written on the envelope.

Document required

  • color copies of the pages of your current passport.
  • copy of National Identity Card (both sides) if you have one
  • proof of a change of name if you have had one
  • Character document.
  • documentation proving your position on or upcoming position on a non-military ship that will be in Australia.
  • Show proof of your highest recognized degree that is relevant to your work as a crew member.

What is the validity of a Maritime visa?

  • Normally, a Maritime Crew visa is only good for three years after it is issued.

What is the cost?

  • The Maritime Crew visa has no application fees.

What is the processing time?

  • 25% of applications: Less than 1 day
  • 50% of applications: Less than 1 day
  • 75% of applications: 1 Day
  • 90% of applications: 10 Days


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.