New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa – Australia Visa: How to apply and obtain, Procedure, Documents required?

What is a New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa?

This visa is for someone who is not a citizen of New Zealand but is a relative of a citizen of that country. For five years, you are permitted to reside and work in Australia.


  • 5 years after your visa is approved, you are permitted to travel to and from Australia as much as you like while living, working, and studying there.


  • If you are an Australian citizen, you cannot obtain this visa.
  • If you are a citizen of New Zealand, this visa cannot be issued to you.
  • Without having another sort of visa, you can apply for a subclass 461 visa.
  • You must be in good health in order to apply for a visa, together with any members of your family unit.
  • You must meet specific character requirements in order to apply for a visa, together with any members of your family unit who are 16 years old or older.
  • All medical expenses incurred while you are in Australia are your personal responsibility.
  • There shouldn’t be any unpaid obligations to the Australian government. You must have made suitable arrangements to repay any money you owe the Australian government.
  • If you have been in Australia after your prior visa was denied or cancelled, you might not be able to apply for or be granted this one.
  • If it is not in your best interest to award this visa to a minor, we may not do so.
  • If you are subject to a No Further Stay condition, you might not be allowed to apply for this visa.

Procedure to apply

How long you can stay?

  • This is a temporary visa. You can stay in Australia for 5 years.

What is the cost?

  • AUD385 for the main applicant.
  • AUD95 for those under 18 who submit a joint application with the primary applicant, and AUD195 for family members over the age of 18.

What is the processing time?

  • 25% of applications: 7 Months
  • 50% of applications: 16 Months
  • 75% of applications: 26 Months
  • 90% of applications: 40 Months

Documents required

  • Present identification documents and proof of your link to a citizen of New Zealand.
  • Provide two recent passport-size photos
  • If you have spent a total of 12 months or more in Australia in the past ten years since turning 16 years old, you must present an Australian police certificate.
  • You must present a New Zealand police certificate if you resided in New Zealand for a total of 12 months or more in the previous ten years.
  • We require proof that you and your spouse or de facto partner has an actual, ongoing relationship.
  • For dependents who are 18 years of age or older, provide identification documents, photographs, and details of other relationships.
  • For more information check here.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.