Orphan Relative visa – Australia Visa: How to apply and obtain, Procedure, Documents required?

What is an Orphan Relative visa – Australia Visa?

This visa allows a single kid to come to Australia to live with a relative if their parents are deceased, incapable of caring for them, or cannot be found.


  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia in line with Australian law
  • enroll in Australia’s public healthcare scheme, Medicare
  • sponsor relatives to come to Australia
  • apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible


  • A qualifying sibling or step-sibling, grandparent or step-grandparent, aunt, uncle, step-aunt, or step-uncle must sponsor the child.
  • When the youngster applies for the visa, they must be younger than 18 years old.
  • We won’t issue this visa unless the youngster has no other family members who can take care of them.
  • Our health requirements must be met by the child and any of their dependant children who apply for the visa with them.
  • The youngster must satisfy our character criteria if they are 16 years old or older.
  • If the child or any member of their family owes money to the Australian government, it must be repaid or a formal arrangement must be made to do so.
  • If it is not in the best interests of a candidate under the age of 18, we could decide not to grant this visa.

How to apply

  • Verify the validity of the child’s passport. If someone is speaking for the child,  let us know.
  • Provide documents to support the application.
  • On paper, submit a visa application. When the application is submitted, the child must be outside of Australia.
  • Complete the following 2 forms, then return them together to Perth’s Child and Other Family Processing Center through the mail (with the proper prepaid postage) or courier.Form 47CH Application for migration to Australia by a child (564KB PDF),Form 40CH Sponsorship for a child to migrate to Australia (544KB PDF) .
  • By post (with correct prepaid postage):Department of Home Affairs
    Child and Other Family Processing Centre
    Locked Bag 7

    By courier:

    Department of Home Affairs
    Child and Other Family Processing Centre
    Wellington Central
    836 Wellington Street
    WEST PERTH WA 6005

  • When we get the application and supporting documentation, we will let you know. After applying, there can be more information, actions, or considerations.

Documents Required

  • Passport pages with the child’s portrait, name, and the dates of their issue and expiration should be provided.
  • Include 4 current (45mm x 35mm) pictures of the child and any additional dependents listed on the application.
  • Please submit a certified copy of the child’s passport or another travel document, as well as any passports the child has held in the past.
  • You must show there are no parents who can take care of the child.
  • Provide evidence of the child’s relationship to their relative.
  • Children older than 16 must present police clearance documents from each nation where they have lived for at least a year in the previous ten years.

What is the cost?

  • It starts from AUD1,710

What is the processing time?

  • 25% of applications: 41 Months
  • 50% of applications: 52 Months
  • 75% of applications: 69 Months
  • 90% of applications: 77 Months


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *