Parent visa – Australia Visa: How to apply and obtain, Procedure, Documents required?

What is a Parent visa – Australia Visa?

A parent of an established Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or qualifying New Zealand citizen may enter Australia with this permanent visa.


  • stay in Australia indefinitely.
  • work and study in Australia.
  • enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
  • sponsor your family members to come to Australia
  • and apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible


  • If you have already filed for or are in possession of a Supported Parent (Temporary) (subclass 870) visa, you are ineligible to apply for this visa.
  • As a retiree, you may submit an application for a Parent visa (subclass 103) if: You possessed an Investor Retirement (subclass 405) or Retirement (subclass 410) visa as of May 8, 2018, or you had previously held one. Between May 8, 2018, and the day you applied for a Parent visa, you did not hold any other substantive visas.
  • You must be sponsored by a sponsor who qualifies.
  • The balance-of-family test must be satisfied.
  • You must be able to get a guarantee of assistance.
  • You must be in good health if you and any family members apply for the visa together.
  • You must meet our character criteria, along with any family members who apply for the visa with you.
  • If you owe the Australian Government money, you or any members of your family must have already paid it back or have a legal agreement in place to do so.
  • If a visa was denied or canceled while you were in Australia, you could not be qualified for this one.
  • When you are at least 18 years old, you must: have read, or explained to you, the Life in Australia book.
  • All medical expenses incurred while you are in Australia are your personal responsibility. Your financial liability is limited by medical insurance.

Documents Required

  • Please include the pages of your existing passport that display your picture, contact information, and the issue and expiration dates.
  • Unless you are applying as a retiree, our application must be supported by a qualified sponsor.
  • Provide us with the following to demonstrate that you pass the family balance test:¬†evidence of how you are related to each child, evidence of each child’s country of permanent residence, and evidence that your child should not be included in the balance-of-family test.
  • We may request character references from you, such as police records.
  • Give us a guarantee of assistance when we ask for it.
  • For every dependant under 18 years old who is applying with you, provide identity documents, character documents, and evidence of your relationship with them such as a birth or marriage certificate.

Procedure to apply

  • Examine your passport. Get someone to act on your behalf if you need assistance with your application.
  • Collect and gather documents.
  • The visa must be requested on paper. When you submit your application, you may be inside or outside of Australia, but you must not have immigration clearance.
  • Complete¬†Form 47PA Application for a parent to migrate to Australia (693KB PDF).
  • Your sponsor must complete Form 40 Sponsorship for migration to Australia (357KB PDF) (442KB PDF).
  • You must withdraw your application for a different Parent visa at the same time that you apply for this one if we have not yet reached a judgment on it.
  • After we get your application and supporting documentation, we will notify you. There may be more things you need to be aware of and complete.

How long you can stay?

  • It is a long-term visa. It permits indefinite residence in Australia.

What is the cost?

  • This visa starts at $6,625 AUD. Each extra family member that applies with you will incur a fee.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.