What is a Special Category visa – Australia Visa?
A Special Category visa (SCV) is a type of visa available for citizens of certain countries who are eligible to live and work in Australia without the need for a formal visa application. The SCV is issued to citizens of New Zealand who are not eligible for an Australian passport, and to certain other eligible non-citizens.
- You can live and work in Australia for an indefinite period of time.
- You can study in Australia.
- You can apply for permanent residency in Australia after living and working in the country for a certain period of time.
- Have a valid New Zealand passport
- You must also meet certain health and character requirements, and you must not have any outstanding debts to the Australian government.
- We reserve the right to deny you an Application if we determine that you are a BCNC (behavior concern non-citizen). Your immigration into Australia can be denied.
- Not have a ‘no further stay’ visa condition
- Valid passport
- Evidence of your citizenship
- Evidence of your relationship to any family members who are also applying for the visa
- Evidence of your health insurance
- Evidence of your ability to support yourself financially while living in Australia.
Procedure to apply
- Ensure you have a valid New Zealand passport before you travel to Australia.
- Collect and provide all documents
- Apply online to request an SCV appointment. Once your information has been received by the Department, you will be contacted with a date and time for your appointment. The Department may also contact you about any additional documentation that you may need to submit.
- If you are a citizen of New Zealand, you will automatically be granted a Special Category visa when you arrive in Australia. If you are a citizen of Norfolk Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, or Christmas Island, you will need to apply for a Special Category visa before you travel to Australia.
- Your visa application will often be processed at the airport or ports when you enter Australia.
What is the cost?
- There is no fee for the Special Category visa.
What is the processing time?
If you are a citizen of New Zealand, you will be granted a Special Category visa immediately upon arrival in Australia. If you are a citizen of Norfolk Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, or Christmas Island, the processing time for your application will vary depending on your individual circumstances.